Monday, June 21, 2010

The prospect of moving.

It seems after much adieu, a wedding, a funeral, two half moves, a career change, and lots of other small details in between, I am finally going to move...into what I like to call, 'our real house.'  Last year, before life got complicated and I was seeing all through the rose colored glasses of love, we were planning on getting our houses sold and buying 'our' house together.  And, as many of you know, life got in the way and all schedules were thrown out the window.  Selling homes and moving continued to get delayed and the prospect of finding our 'real home' almost seemed out of reach.

However, in April, we decided that we had found 'our' home.  And, while it was beautiful, it needed some serious attention.  Since closing in May, our new home has been a regular contractor parade.  Lots of our much needed projects have been accomplished and it seems as though we will finally be moving.  Moving. in. to. our. real. house.

I have been waiting for this day for a year.  Waiting for a new beginning, a chance to start anew, having my 'stuff' back, and feeling settled again.  I haven't felt settled in more than a year.  Most of that has to do with the fact that most of my stuff has been packed up in some way, shape, or form.  Packed in boxes in a storage unit and in my Dad's garage.  And, over the last few weeks, those boxes have been transitioned to the new garage and new basement for impending unpacking.

As of this weekend,  most of our furniture will be joining those boxes in our new home.  And, so will we.  There were times when I had no idea if this day would ever come.  And it's almost here.

And, while I am excited, it's all very bittersweet.  My Mom won't be coming to see the new house or be giving me tips over the phone on where I should put stuff.  And, I won't be able to call her when I start unpacking those boxes to ask her,' why in the hell did I keep this??"  I will miss hearing her laugh at my dramatic comments and her encouraging me to just get rid of it....that was our solution to everything.  You should always get rid of things you don't want so you have room for new things that you do want.

No comments:

Post a Comment